McNair STEAM Lab
Mission Statement of the McNair STEAM Lab
- STEAM is a student-centered, project-based instructional model that integrates Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics. STEAM is based on student-driven inquiry and problem-solving to facilitate innovation through collaboration, communication, creativity and critical thinking.
- McNair STEAM Lab includes stations in the areas of electronics, robotics, 3D printing, design and technology. Stations prepare students for more effective living in a growing industrial and highly technological society. The laboratory, hands-on approach in education provides experiences for students to assist them in discovering and developing aptitudes and interests in technology.
- McNair STEAM Lab will inspire and engage all students through rigorous project-based inquiry, interdisciplinary learning, and research-based experiences. It will foster cross-curricular collaboration and facilitate relationships throughout FCPS.
- Problem Solving: Use appropriate tools strategically.
- Reasoning: Reason abstractly and quantitatively.
- Perseverance: Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them.
- Precision: Attend to precision.
- Modeling: Model with mathematics.
- Representation: Look for and make use of structure.
- In the 21st century, scientific and technological innovations have become increasingly important as we face the benefits and challenges of both globalization and a knowledge-based economy. To succeed in this new information-based and highly technological society, students need to develop their capabilities in STEAM to levels much beyond what was considered acceptable in the past.
- National Science Foundation
- Resource Teacher, ES